Unknown to me all the while until I have tried it for myself, blueberry and pomegranate are the refreshing flavor duo that together they make a winning combination, so much so that I would even think that they actually taste better complementing one another compared to having them on their own separately. A combination of two antioxidant superstars that packs a hefty nutritional punch, this smoothie makes a lovely and refreshing beverage that could make you easily over indulge probably without having to have the slightest guilt. With fresh blueberries and the POM 100% pomegranate juice being the two main ingredients, here's a link to the POM Wonderful website that nicely tells all the benefits these pomegranates have. As with the blueberries, here's a quick peek into some of the many health benefits they offer, briefly summarizes from a couple of reference sites.
- Antioxidant Rich in vitamins and wonderful elements they boost your immunity keeping free-radicals in check.
- Brain booster Restoring the general health of the central nervous system, the nutrients in blueberries improve brain functions and hinder the onset to many age related cognitive problems.
- Low glycaemic index In between 40 to 53, their low-in-sugar and high-in-fiber properties keep you full for longer with less sugar level crashes or disturbances and thus a more stable blood sugar level.
- Heart healthy Thanks to the antioxidant within each little berry, they strengthens cardiac muscles and regulates the cholesterol level, increasing the good ones, bringing down the bad.
- Cancer fighter Anthocyanin - a big word yea lol - a rich source of antioxidants that work in harmony with the other nutrients to pack a punch of cancer combatting properties.
- Healthy vision Again the anthocyanin together with many other various vitamins, minerals and lutein - they work miraculously in maintaining ocular health, easing eye fatigue and simply promoting a healthy vision.
Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
Makes 2 servings (~120cal a serving)
1 cup frozen blueberries
3/4 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup unsweetened organic soy milk
6 cubes of ice
1 to 2 tsps honey (optional)
In a tall blender, bring in all the ingredients. Blend on high speed for about 45 seconds or until it reaches your preferred consistency of a smoothie. Portion out into separate glasses and lets toast to good health!